Englishwoman with the 1st Anti-Aircraft Division, which controlled the searchlight and gun batteries defending London.
An ATS (Auxiliary Territorial Service) ‘spotter’ at a 3.7-inch anti-aircraft gun site in Britain, December 1942. On her shoulder can be seen the badge of the 1st Anti-Aircraft Division, which controlled the searchlight and gun batteries defending London. The ATS was established in September 1938, to provide for women volunteers to serve in non-combatant roles alongside the military. In 1941 it was fully incorporated into the British armed forces. As the war progressed conscription was introduced, and duties expanded from cooks, clerks and drivers to more varied and technical roles. The ATS reached a peak strength of 210,208 officers and other ranks in June 1943.
(Caption and photo courtesy of the Imperial War Museum)
Winston Churchill’s daughter, Mary, served on a Anti-Aircraft battery during parts of the war.