“St Clements Caves formed a natural air-raid shelter for many Old Town families when bombing began in 1940. The caves were kitted out with 500 bunk beds and a new entrance was knocked through into Croft Road. The people ate, slept and generally lived as an underground community. A fully equipped medical centre, sick bay and dining hall were also added and an official inspector from the Civil Defence Commissioner remarked that it was “the best air-raid shelter in the country”.
From the official website of the City of Hastings in the UK. http://www.1066online.co.uk/hastings-history/ww2/world-war-2.htm