I have written about the German light cruisers previously including the Königsberg. The Königsberg was the first of the three ‘K’ class light cruisers built and so they are also referred to as Königsberg class according to naval tradition.
The K class light cruisers suffered from many design problems since they were designed and built in the late 1920’s and had to adhere to the strict limit’s imposed on Germany by the Treaty of Versailles. As the design problems became increasingly apparent, the duties of the ships were limited to compensate and they increasingly failed to serve in the role they were intended to.
The Königsberg served in the Baltic for the majority of the war as a glorified mine layer until being sunk in the Invasion of Norway. Collected below are the photographs of Königsberg during training.
Halftone reproduction of a photograph taken on the ship’s foredeck, looking aft, circa 1931. Crewmen appear to be preparing for physical training. Note the forward 15cm triple gun turret trained on the starboard beam.
Photograph taken on the ship’s after superstructure deck, looking aft, circa 1931. Crewmen are examining the ship’s battery of two 8.8cm anti-aircraft guns. Her Number Two 15cm triple gun turret is in the background, with a plaque on its face bearing the inscription “Lutzow”.
Halftone reproduction of a photograph taken on the ship’s after superstructure deck, looking aft, circa 1931. Crewmen are receiving gunnery instruction between the ship’s pair of 8.8cm anti-aircraft guns. Her two after 15cm triple gun turrets are visible in the background. Note the different heraldic shields mounted over the doors on the rear side of each turret.
Halftone reproduction of a photograph taken on the ship’s after superstructure deck, looking aft, circa 1931, showing gunnery drill with the ship’s two 8.8cm anti-aircraft guns. Her Number Two 15cm triple gun turret is in the background.
Two 8.8cm/45 FLAK L/45 during AA training in the 1920s.
Recent photographs of the German fleet at the naval parade in Swinoujscie on the Baltic Sea. View of the deck of the “Konigsberg” with the anti-aircraft guns and the operating crew with gas masks in April 1932.
[Images courtesy of the Department of the Navy – Naval Historical Center 1 and 2 and Wikimedia.]